Message to Parents/Guardians (Dec 15 2022)
Dear Parents / Guardians,
As we approach the end of this calendar year, it feels fitting to reflect on a few things as we look forward to 2023:
THE 2022 YEAR IN REVIEW – SOME HIGHLIGHTS
- This past June we unveiled an Indigenous Welcome Pole at the School Board office. This important symbol is a reminder for all of us of our shared commitment to greater understanding of historical and present-day truths as we walk together towards reconciliation. I have attached a photo for you to have a glimpse back at this important day.
- In the spring, the Board of Education adopted their new Strategic Plan that prioritizes the district’s focus for the next 5 years. There are four themes: Literacy, Indigenous Learner Success, Mental Health & Wellness, and Global Citizenship. These will shape our conversations and efforts as we work to build even greater opportunities for student success.
- While the pandemic continues to find its way into our lives, we can be proud of how we came together these past 3 years as a community in providing a strong educational experience. A huge thank you to our staff who worked tirelessly in finding creative solutions to the complex realities of this situation.
- Two new graduation-track programs were introduced last year: The dual-credit Education Assistant & Community Support program and Take-A-Hike (a high school program that uses the outdoors and adventure to engage vulnerable youth in academics, community and mental health supports).
- Our online learning school, SIDES, was recently announced as one of BC’s new Provincial Online Learning Schools. This new designation recognizes the outstanding work being done by our SIDES teachers, support staff and administration and will allow SIDES to continue supporting students both locally and from around the province.
LOCAL FOOD ASSISTANCE DURING THE BREAK
Many families in our community are finding the current economic realities a significant challenge. The school district’s parent advisory group, COPACS, has put together a list of food providers for those who may benefit from their services over the holiday season and into the new year. My thanks to them for providing this information:
- Food Share Network - the Capital Regional District Food Access Resource Center
- Living Edge market - Thursday evenings 5:30 - 6:30pm
- Saanich Peninsula Lions Food Bank – December hours Mon/Wed/Fri 9am - 12pm
SEASON’S GREETINGS AND BEST WISHES FOR 2023
We are very fortunate in Saanich to have such an engaged parent/guardian community – one that values public education and works with us as partners in our shared goal of student success. On behalf of the school district, I wish all of you a wonderful upcoming holiday season – where you are able to find time to connect with family and friends to relax, recharge, and refresh. I look forward to working with you again in 2023 as we continue to make Saanich Schools even better.
Superintendent & CEO, Saanich Schools